Thursday, October 8, 2015

Let the Horses Run!




Churchill Downs!
Churchill Downs in Louisville, KY....something on my bucket list for sure! Growing up in Texas, I loves my horses. Since the age of pre-K, I have ridden horses. Lucy was my gentle giant quarter horse my Dad raised. Anyone could ride her, beginner to expert. She tired of me always leading her to the side of the porch so I could crawl on and off we would go---usually bare back. I fell off a few times, but it never discouraged me. Dad drove my sister and I to 'play days' to participate in rodeo competitions including barrel racing, poles and other kid events. Lucy was always slow and steady. A great reigning horse with a cadillac gate...smooth! Horses are smart. I remember walking to the corral, hiding the bridle to grasp a handful of mane to 'catch her'. She would raise her head just high enough so I could no pass the bridle over her ears. I could get her nose in, which Lucy obediently obliged, but the higher the bridle went, so did her head. Frustrating even for an adult.

Horses....a part of my life. Sissy, my high spirited little red horse, caused much angst and grief. A stubborn cuss. The family and I spent many a Saturday chasing her down. She refused to be ridden. I attempted to trick her many times, and of course, horses are smart. She learned quickly. I would fill the bucket with sweet feed in the corral, hide in the barn-waiting for her grand entrance, then quickly run to close the gate. Sissy learned that trickeration and would not enter the corral until seeing me walk to the house. REALLY! She could run like the wind. I'm sure my step-dad could tell a few more stories about horses.

I encouraged my children to ride, but they had other things on their mind.  We did participate with the local 4H for a couple of summers, and that was it. Coco Bar taught my kids that large animals can be gentle and kind. His demeanor was very similar to Lucy. Huge animal with a big heart and great ride.







Mint Juleps for all!
Raising horses is like owning a boat...money pit. My brother and I did co-own a paint stallion that won Grand Champion at the American Pain Horse Association in Ft. Worth in 2001. His nickname was Razor because we had to shave his belly to reveal 'paint markings' to be registered. I can't recall his registered name exactly...CashNencore...something like that. The most beautiful horse with 4 stocking legs, wide blaze and excellent confirmation of course (He did win the World). Wow....much work, blood, money, sweat and tears. I love horses :)

This is supposed to be about Churhill Downs. Here ya go. While workamping at Lee Bottom, we ventured to Louisville a few times and made it to the horse races!! I was so excited!  We went on a Thursday evening and watched several races and WON a few dollars to pay for our mint juleps! I discovered juleps are not for me, but I had to try it at the infamous Kentucky Derby. Actually-returning for the actual derby is another one for the bucket list....one day. The grands exude grandeur and history at every turn. Character fills the maze of hallways and stairways. The atmosphere energizes your imagination to day-dream with 'what if I can win'. Dangerous, but FUN!  You can get a close-up and personal view of the jockeys and horses near several areas. We explored all around. I would like to do the tour next time. I understand this is not offered on race days, so check it out.
When we return for the Derby, I shall proudly wear my hat and root for my horse at the finish line while sipping a refreshing libation.....ahhhhh.

Things we learned....free parking is available...follow the "free parking' signs-duh, once you enter the grounds. Attending during the week allows you to sit any where you like for 3 bucks! We didn't eat there, but many venues are available for a price. I don't know what hubby paid for our souvenir drinks, but I do like the little glasses. They are kept in the freezer and we use them for milk! Ice cold.
We bought the tip sheet and program....Hmmm. Probably for the serious folks. I bet on the horse that looked good, the one that showed energy, or the color of the silks. Very statistical betting methods.
Hey-we won.

Can't wait to go back some day!

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment